Summit Cites Need to Intensify Crackdown on Illegal Recruitment
Byline: RAUL GONZALES
The tripartite sectors participating in the ongoing Overseas Employment Summit yesterday cited the need for an intensified campaign to crack down on illegal recruitment.
Labor and Employment Undersecretary Susan V. Ople, who chairs the summit, said there is a universal agreement among industry leaders, the government, and non-government organizations concerned with migrant workers for a focused and intensified action to curb illegal recruitment in the country, including a full stop to the "escort system."
"Illegal recruitment is a scourge that needs to be adressed," Ople said.
And all participants in the summit agree that the time is now to undertake serious, concrete action to prptect OFWs from being victimized by unscrupulous illegal recruiters,
Ople expressed her view during a break at the third of five pre-summit workshops at the Philippine Overseas Employment Administration at the corner of Ortigas Avenue and Epifanio de los Santos Ave., in Mandaluyong city,where since last week, overseas employment industry representatives, government officials, and non-government organizations (NGOs), church workers, and other stakeholders have been discussing the controversial "escort system." The committee received a testimony as to this system during the workshop.
The workshop will end the Overseas Employment Summit on July 9 where exprected outputs will be recommended to President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo. …