Food Facts: Put Bite into a Low-Carb Diet
THE Atkins Diet is great for losing weight quickly but with little variation, meals can become pretty dull.
So nutritionist Carolyn Humphries has devised a book of delicious recipes, a mixture of Atkins and Mediterranean food, sure to help you stick to the low-carbohydrate rules.
Try this three-course selection: Bacon with celeriac and onion hash browns Ingredients: 1/4 celeriac (celery root) cut into small chunks; 2 rashers of back bacon, rinded; 15ml/1 tbsp sunflower or olive oil; 1 small onion, chopped; salt and freshly ground black pepper; 1 egg, beaten; a knob of butter.
DIRECTIONS: 1. Boil the celeriac in lightly salted water for about 10 minutes until soft. Drain and tip into a bowl. Mash well.
2. Meanwhile, fry the bacon in a frying pan until golden, turning once. Remove from the pan and keep warm.
3. Add the oil to the pan and heat. Add the onion and fry for two minutes, stirring.
4. Remove from the pan with a draining spoon and add to the celeriac. Mix together well, season with salt and pepper, then mix with the beaten egg.
5. Add the butter to the oil in the frying pan. Heat until bubbling, then add spoonfuls of the celeriac mix and fry for two minutes until golden underneath. Turn the hash browns over and fry on the other sides until they are golden too.
6. Drain on kitchen paper, then serve with the bacon.Serves: One. Carbohydrates: 11g.Low-carbohydrate lasagne verde Ingredients: 2 courgettes; 30ml/ 2tbsp sunflower oil; 1 onion, finely chopped; 1 garlic clove, crushed; 450g/ 1 lb minced beef; 1 large can of chopped tomatoes; 3 tbsp tomato puree; 4 tbsp red wine; 4tbsp water; 1 tsp dried oregano; salt and freshly ground black pepper; 1/2 tsp artificial sweetener; 4 sheets of green lasagne; 1 egg; 4 tbsp double cream; 100g grated cheddar cheese. Serve with a crisp green salad.
DIRECTIONS: 1. …