University of the East: Nearly 60 Years of Quality Education for the Masses
The University of the East (UE) has been providing quality education for the masses for nearly 60 years now.
What would become UE was initially a rented room on Dasmarinas Street in Manila where, in September 1946, the late Dr. Francisco T. Dalupan, Sr. and a group of educators organizedCertified Public Accountant (CPA) review classes for 110 studentsfour of who became topnotchers in the 1947 CPA Board exams. Encouraged by this initial success, Dr. Dalupan and his associates opened the Philippine College of Commerce and Business Administration (PCCBA) to some 350 business students in the summer of 1947 on R. Papa Street in Manila.
On July 3, 1951, the PCCBA was granted university status and became the University of the East, with Dr. Dalupan as Chairman of the Board and President.
UEs Caloocan Campus was established in 1954 as a Vocational and Technical Training Center. It would eventually become an autonomous unit headed by a Chancellor.
The UE College of Medicine was first established in 1955. On May 17,1957, the College was converted into a Foundation and named the UE Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center(UERMMMC).
UEs three Campuses are composed of several colleges and schools.
At UE Manila, at the heart of the University Belt, are the Graduate School,the Colleges of Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Computer Studies and Systems, Dentistry, Education, Engineering, and Law. Under the College of Engineering is the Institute of Technical Education, while under the College of Education are the Elementary and Secondary Laboratory Schools.
UE Caloocan, which is located along Samson Road in Caloocan City, has the Colleges of Arts and Sciences, Business Administration, Engineeringalong with the Institute of Technical Education and Fine Arts.
UERMMMC, located along Aurora Boulevard in Quezon City, has the Colleges of Medicine, Nursing, and Physical Therapy and the Graduate School.
All three UE Campuses are run predominantly by the Universitys own alumni, led by Mr. P. O. Domingo, a 1950 alumnus, magna cum laude, of the College of Business Administration-Manilawho is the Chairman and Chief Executive Offi cer of all three Campuses.
PRESENT TIMESUE Manila has been granted the deregulated status by the Commission on Higher Education, while many of its Colleges have each been accredited the Level II status by the PhilippineAssociation of Colleges and Universities Commission on Accreditation (PACUCOA). The UERMMMC Colleges, for their part, have been accredited at varying levels by the PhilippineAccrediting Agency of Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU).
State-of-the-art, high-technology facilities and education abound on all UE Campusesproviding good value for tuition fees by way of modern IT and library facilities, progressive teaching methods, air-conditioned classrooms and a campus environment conducive to learning. Among the Universitys more recent infrastructure milestones are the Tan Yan Kee Academic Building at the Caloocan Campus, which now houses the Campuss Colleges of Arts and Sciences, Business Administration and Fine Arts, as well as a host of computer laboratories, the Benjamin G. Chua Jr. Library and a Gigabit Ethernet system.
Many know UE for having been the best business school around especially from its inception up to the early 1980s, when UE graduates would dominate the topnotchers list of the CPA boardexams. …