Baguio Central University: Student Recognition through Social Participation
From a mere vocational school to a university.It was in 1945, when the school opened its door to individuals who wanted to have a vocational training. Immediately after World War I, the vocational school named as Centro Academy started its operation with the initiative and dedication of the late Godofredo Fernandez and his wife Margarita J. Fernandez.
In 1949, a high school academic program was added to the vocational school. The school was then named as Centro Industrial School. The secondary curriculum was offered as an alternative for vocational training.
With an aim to provide a wider scope of educational training and with the need to meet the demand of the growing region, the vocational school, which was under a single proprietorship was turned into a private corporation. From 1951-1953, the institution offered college courses leading to the degrees of Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Secondary and Elementary Education, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Bachelor of Science in Commerce. The Bachelor of Law and Engineering courses were offered in 1953 and Master of Arts in Education in 1955. For successive years,the institution has undergone expansion in its academic programs. Between 1971-1977, there were other courses that were offered these are: Bachelor of Science in Public Administration, Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, Doctor of Education, Master of Public and Business Administration. It was during these years of development when the institution was named as Eastern Philippines Colleges and later renamed as the Lyceum of Baguio (1972- 1977) before it became Baguio Central University (1977-present).
In 1979, Dr. Margarita J. Fernandez became the fi rst president of the university.In 1985, a two-year course in Associate in Hotel and Restaurant Management was opened. The few number of preschools in Baguio City drove BCU to put up its own preschool in 1987; thus, the Growing-Up Learning Center stood. Its programs are geared toward experiential learning - where learning is fun and fulfi lling.
The changes in the society and the continuous advancement in technology brought challenges to the institution in the early 90s, thus short degree courses that are technologyoriented were offered. These courses include a year course in Computer Technology, Associate Degree in Computer Science, and Associate Degree in Computer Secretarial and eventually in 1993, the four-year course in Computer Science was offered. It was also on the same year when the doctorate program in philosophy was added to the curriculum.
In 1996, with the operation of its hospital, the Sto. Ni?o Jesus Medical Center, the university started medical science courses such as the degrees in Nursing, Physical Therapy, and Midwifery along with these are Bachelor of Science in Tourism and Bachelor of Science in Hotel and Restaurant Management.
In 1998, the Associate in Health Science was included in the medical courses. The Pio H. Joven Research Center Inc. was established and BCU extended its services outside the Philippines. It established a sisterhood ties with Presbyterian General Assembly Theological College and Seminary in Korea.
Baguio Central University had lived and continued to soar to a high endeavor through libertad (liberty), justicia (justice), veritas (truth), and equitas (equity).
Throughout the years, Baguio Central University has moved forward with the administration of Dr. Margarita Fernandez. Its expansion covers the academic programs as well as the physical structures of the school.
In 2001, the institution responded to the demand of the global market, the sixmonth caregiver program was added to its curricular offerings. In its pursuit for quality education, the institution voluntarily submitted itself to the Philippine Association of Colleges and Universities Commission on Accreditation in 2002 for the accreditation of its various programs in the Colleges of Liberal Arts, Education, Public Administration, and Nursing. …