A Threat to Liberal Dominance; Elevation of Justice Thomas Has Potential
Byline: Joseph Evans, SPECIAL TO THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Winning the general election and adding Republican seats in the House and Senate, President Bush earned his mandate, clearing the way for his agenda which includes appointing conservatives to the bench. In fact, Mr. Bush may choose to nominate Justice Clarence Thomas to replace an ailing Chief Justice William Rehnquist. By doing so, the president would make American history and change racial expectations and political landscapes.
Justice Thomas' elevation and his successful confirmation also would change aspects of African American social, cultural and political climate for the unforeseeable future. Before we rush to disagree, America is ready for this historic opportunity. By majority on Nov. 2, 2004, the American electorate revealed to American elite - still, that the people, county by county, believe that traditional values express its national ethos. Justice Thomas closely represents mainstream American values.
The Pew Research Center conducted a poll (Sept. - Oct. 2003), that prophetically reported, "Voters who attend religious services regularly favor re-electing Bush by strong margins, while those who rarely attend religious services clearly favor a Democratic candidate." The poll data suggested that 63 percent of church attendees planned to support the sitting president, George Bush. On the other hand, 37 percent of those polled planned to vote for any Democratic nominee. Of those who seldom attend church, 62 percent planned to vote for the Democratic nominee; only 38 percent intended to vote for Mr. Bush.
Commenting on African American conservative religious values, Steven Waldman, writing for Slate, admits that blacks are conservative on cultural issues. He states, "On many issues over which liberals mock the 'the religious right,' African Americans are closer to the evangelicals than the rest of the Democratic Party." He adds, "Even more important, African Americans tend to concur with the Republican position on the hot issue of gay marriage. Sixty-four percent oppose it as compared to 44 percent among white mainline Protestants and 30 percent among secular Democrats. Mr. Waldman goes on to say that blacks "support the Republican position on the death penalty, despite evidence that its implementation tends to discriminate against blacks."
In the decisive Ohio election, 60 percent of African Americans voted against same-sex marriages. Statistically, Justice Thomas is well within the margin of African American cultural conservatism and other Americans' cultural expectations on most of his opinions and dissents.
Where are the political pitfalls? Justice Thomas may be a threat to liberal hegemony. Many of whom are weary that unexpectedly, Justice Thomas is "the new Negro" role model, who like a Hebrew prophet shares his message of hope as nothing more than returning to religious and family values, hard work, self-help and personal responsibility. …