Best & Brightest
- Michelle Goldberg of Buffalo Grove, a junior majoring in entrepreneurship and marketing management at Syracuse University in New York, was named an academic peer facilitator for the Martin J. Whitman School of Management for the 2004-05 academic year.
Student peer facilitators, who must have a grade point average of at least 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale), help first-year students with the academic, social, cultural and emotional transition from high school to college.
- Michael S. DeGeorge, a sophomore accounting major at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, has been selected to represent the USA at the World University Games in Austria this January. This is the largest sporting event in the world next to the Olympic Games. The United States Olympic Committee oversees the selection process.
At the Winteruniversiade Innsbruck/Seefeld 2005, 69 medal decisions representing all major winter sports will be held. DeGeorge will be competing as a goalie in the men's ice hockey event.
He is the son of Tina Marie and Ron DeGeorge of Wheeling, and is a 2002 graduate of Wheeling High School. DeGeorge played junior hockey for the Chicago Freeze and many Triple A organizations in the Chicago area before beginning college.
- Cassandra L. Gerst of Buffalo Grove, a senior at Hope College, Holland, Mich., was named to the dean's list for the second semester of the 2003-04 school year for achieving a minimum 3.5 grade point average.
- Brian McKeirnan Shust of Long Grove, a sophomore at Wake Forest University in Winston-Salem, N.C., was named to the dean's list for the 2004 spring semester for achieving a 3.0 or higher grade point average.
- Adam Sax of Buffalo Grove was named to the 2004 spring semester dean's list at Ball State University, Muncie, Ind., for earning at least a 3.5 grade point average.
- Jason Hauslein of Buffalo Grove, a junior theater major at Millikin University in Decatur, was technical director for the Department of Theater and Dance December presentation of the Shakespeare comedy, "Much Ado About Nothing." Hauslein is a graduate of Buffalo Grove High School.
- Ryan M. Fink of Long Grove graduated May 16 from St. Norbert College in DePere, Wis.
- Erin B. Hoffman of Hoffman Estates, a junior in the College of Fine Arts at Millikin University, Decatur, was named to the dean's list for the spring 2004 semester for earning a grade point average of least 3.5.
- Katherine J. Devitt and David L. Jacobs, both of Buffalo Grove, and Aaron M. Morgenstein, Long Grove, were named to the College of DuPage academic honors list for the 2004 summer quarter.
- The following piano students of Mary Ann Alexander were awarded gold medals at the Harper College Sonata/Sonatina competition Nov. 7:
Buffalo Grove: Russell Ang, Tina Ding, Keith Meikrantz, Andrea Shen and David Zhang.
Hawthorn Woods: Monica Bodenstab.
Kildeer: Stephanie and Justin Doong.
Long Grove: Laila Esfandiari and Jenny Li. …