Welcome to Members Matter! This column highlights new members, NLC member benefits, programs, services, and other information for and about cities and towns.
Welcome, New Members!
Blackville, S.C., pop. 2,973, the Honorable Jackie T. Holman, Mayor
Blackville is a quiet community located just 45 miles Northeast of Augusta, Go. It is the home of Miller's Bread Basket with his famous homemade bread and the Healing Springs with its long-standing, free flowing cool water wells. It is also a great destination for fishermen and lovers of the outdoors.
Burleson, Texas, pop. 20,976, the Honorable Ken Shetter, Mayor
The town of Burleson was founded in 1881 and was named for Dr. Rufus C. Burleson, president of Baylor University at Waco. It was officially incorporated in 1912 and was made a city in 1938. In the early days, Burleson was located in the center of a 100-square-mile farming and ranching area and was the economic center of the agricultural industry both in providing farmers sales of farming equipment and the production of crops.
The town boasted its own post office, grain elevator, flour mill, town newspaper, two cotton gins and a water works, which was organized around a single windmill at the site of the present city offices. Banking, commercial trade, and a supportive residential area grew rapidly in the Old Town area, serving a growing community deeply rooted in the railroad and farming activities.
Cambridge, Mr., pop 10,911, the Honorable Cleveland L. Rippons, Mayor
Often called the "Queen City of the Eastern Shore" and "Tomato Capital of the World," the city was established as a town in 1684 on land that was once part of the Choptank Indian Reservation. It was incorporated over a century later in 1793 and is one of the oldest towns in Maryland. Cambridge's growth is attributed mainly to its natural resources and its position as a port.
At one time, it was said to have one of the best and safest harbors in Maryland. Its economy, however, has changed over the years to include tobacco, grain crops, shipbuilding from local lumber, oyster packing, canning of fruits and vegetables, fishing, crabbing, and metal fabrication. The city has a rich fishing heritage and national reputation for high quality seafood from the Eastern Shore, at the heart of Cambridge, where busy fishing boats are docked along the waterfront.
Chanute, Kan., pop. 9,411, the Honorable Ed Cox, Mayor
In 1856, with the railroad soon to arrive in the area, the residents needed a solution to a growing dispute among the towns of Tioga, Chicago Junction, Alliance, and New Chicago. The towns were vying for the right to house the LL&G Railroad's new land office, but they were unable to settle their differences until Octave Chanute, the chief engineer and general superintendent of the LL&G Railroad came to town. At his suggestion, in 1873, the towns merged and the City of Chanute was chartered.
With the Southern Kansas Railroad locating a division headquarters in Chanute, the city began to flourish. In 1887, the City of Chanute boasted a rapid growth in flourmills, grain elevators, banks, drug and hardware stores, and natural gas. In 1903, the city established the electric utility, and in the years to follow, the city established the gas, water, wastewater, and refuse utilities. Today, the city is one of only a handful of remaining full-service cities in Kansas.
Clarksville, Tenn., pop., 103,455, the Honorable Don Trotter, Mayor
Founded in 1784, Clarksville was named for General George Rogers Clark, an Indian fighter and Revolutionary War leader. The early years of the 1800's were progressive ones for the city, with the building of roads, railroads and bridges, and the establishment of churches and educational institutions. Later, the city became well known for its production of dark fired tobacco, and in the early 1900's, its trade and business progressed. …