Disaster Recovery Planning Checklist
While some disasters can't be prevented most be anticipated. This checklist should help your organizations prepare for disasters systematically.
STEPS TO TAKE
* Appoint a disaster recovery chairperson with the authority to act in the event of any major disaster and a committee to work with him or her to determine the strengths and weaknesses in each area of the office.
* Prepare a list of appropriate emergency telephone numbers and distribute it to each employee. Be sure to include police, fire, medical emergency and utility company telephone numbers.
* Arrange a cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) demonstration and first-aid courses. Contact your local Red Cross for assistance. If an in office demonstration is not possible, send two or three employees, from different departments and shifts, to receive such training.
* Conduct an annual company disaster plan meeting. Brief employees on the procedures they should take in the event of a disaster. If possible, a fire or earthquake drill should be a part of this meeting.
* Make sure insurance covers office equipment, software and key employees and that it is adequate.
* Maintain a current list of data processing hardware and software. Such a list is important for insurance purposes and will assist the company in preparing for the contingency of off-site processing.
* Back up data files routinely and test the back-up media periodically. …