"C" What Vitamins Can Do
Nutrition and Growth
Identify the functions of nutrients as they relate to growth and health.
* Explain the importance of vitamin C in the body.
* Demonstrate the usefulness of vitamin C in preserving food color.
Activities and Strategies
Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) helps the body:
* fight infection
* health wounds
* form and maintain collagen
* absorb iron and calcium
A lack of vitamin C can result in:
* bleeding gums and scurvy
* frequent infections
When certain foods are exposed to oxygen, they change color; vitamin C often is added to foods to help stop this color change. This investigation demonstrates how vitamin C helps food keep its natural color.
The students should follow the steps of the scientific method.
* Question: How does vitamin C preserve food color?
* Hypothesis: Let students make their guesses.
* Materials: Listed in the appropriate section.
1. Dissolve one tablet of 250 milligrams of vitamin C in one cup of water.