Dist. 59 Schools Receive Grants
Ter Maat, Sue, Daily Herald (Arlington Heights, IL)
Byline: Sue Ter Maat Daily Herald Staff Writer
The District 59 Education Foundation handed out more than $20,000 in grants this month, using money from fundraisers.
The money went to various activities and programs, including physical education equipment, reading efforts, digital cameras and support material for the health curriculum, district officials said.
The grants to each group were a maximum of $1,000, so there were more than 20 different programs in the district that will benefit.
The foundation is made up of parents and local business leaders and is a separate entity from the Elk Grove Township Elementary District 59.
The foundation's mission is to enhance the quality of education and increase community involvement by fostering partnerships that support excellence and innovation in District 59.
Below is a list of the schools, individual grants and programs:
Admiral Byrd Elementary in Elk Grove Village
- A Bookshelf of My Own: $471.47. Raw materials for a family activity in which families work together to make a bookshelf using pre-cut wood, screws and tools.
Brentwood Elementary in Des Plaines
- Elements of Reading: Vocabulary: $425. A supplemental reading program for new vocabulary words.
- Building Students' Literacy Confidence: $719.70. Six Speaking Language Master units for aid students in reading and writing.
- Fish! for Schools Expedition Packs: $750. Fish! Expedition Packs for Character Counts initiative.
- Talking Dictionary: $959.20. Sixteen Children's Talking Dictionary and Spell Corrector units for fifth-grade students.
Devonshire Elementary School in Des Plaines:
- Paddle Game Playtime: $1,000. Balls and paddles for improving ball-striking ability and physical fitness.
- On Track to a Scientific and Healthy Living: $1,000. Supplemental materials for the health curriculum including models of the skeleton, skin, eye, and teeth and other items.
Friendship Junior High in Des Plaines:
- World Music Drumming: $998.10. Six Tubano drums to teach students about the musical and cultural traditions of Africa and Latin America.
- Pedometers: $1,000. Sixty pedometers to encourage and promote physical activity through constant movement. …