Adlai E. Stevenson High School
News of the year
- Student enrollment declined for the first time in 20 years, dropping to 4,472 from 4,573 in 2005-06.
- Individual class rank was officially eliminated.
- Mandarin Chinese was added to the list of World Languages offerings, joining Spanish, French, German, Hebrew and Latin.
- Superintendent Dr. Timothy D. Kanold will retire June 30, 2007. He served as District 125 superintendent for five years, and worked at Stevenson for 20 years. His successor is Dr. Eric Twadell, assistant superintendent during the 2006-07 school year and formerly head of the social studies division for eight years (1998-2006).
- Stevenson's National Honor Society chapter was recognized at the national convention for organizing one of the top 10 service projects in the country - the annual Homecoming Spirit Walk.
- The Patriettes (Stevenson's varsity pom squad) won two state titles at the Illinois Drill Team Association finals on March 17. Stevenson won the AAA Kick and AAA Lyrical divisions, the first time the Patriettes have won two state titles in the same year. Stevenson qualified for state by winning the IDTA Supersectional March 3.
- The boys basketball team finished fourth at the IHSA Class 2A state finals, its highest finish ever and first appearance downstate since 1992, and won the Hoffman Estates Supersectional championship.
- The girls swim team finished fifth at the IHSA state finals on Nov. 17, its highest finish ever and fourth top-10 showing in the past nine years.
- Stevenson's cheerleaders finished fifth in the large varsity division at the IHSA state finals Feb. 3, their 13th top-five finish in the past 16 years.
- The girls gymnastics team placed sixth at the IHSA state finals on Feb. 17.
- State qualifiers: Robbie Eckardt (boys cross country, tied- 212th); Chris Finocchi (boys swimming, 11th in the 200 free relay); Yankun Guo (badminton, place unavailable at press time); Laurel Heath (girls diving, 21st); Alex Pawlus (boys diving, 14th); Megan Sharkey (girls gymnastics, 24th in balance beam); Sean Vallely (boys diving, seventh); Eric Woeckel (boys bowling, 21st); and Jenny Zhao (badminton, place unavailable at press time).
- Sarah Geissler set a Stevenson single-game scoring record when she poured in 38 points for the Stevenson girls basketball team during a 79-68, double overtime win against Prospect in the IHSA Dundee-Crown Regional on Feb. 14.
- Adam Pike's 683 series against Lake Zurich on Nov. 28 broke the boys bowling team's school record of 667.
- All-conference selections: Erik Albert (football), Stefan Antonijevic (boys soccer), Kristen Baader (girls volleyball), Katharina Boes (girls volleyball), Quinn Brennolt (ice hockey), Victoria Crawford (girls volleyball), David Daar (football), Dan Dowd (football), Brett Eiler (boys soccer), Sarah Geissler (girls basketball), Max Klatt (football), Jong Lee (boys basketball), Courtney Murtha (girls basketball), Kevin Murtha (football), Adam Rappin (boys soccer), John Taylor (boys basketball), Lea Zarytsky (girls volleyball).
- North Suburban Conference champions: Robbie Eckardt (boys cross country)
Group or teams
- Second place finish at the Illinois Academic Decathlon finals on March 3.
- Second place finish at the IHSA state journalism finals on April 28.
- Mathematics team finished third at the Illinois Council of Teachers of Mathematics state finals on April 28.
- Stevenson won six first-place awards at the Illinois State History Fair on May 9, and had two projects chosen to represent the state at the National History Day finals at the University of Maryland in June.
- Chess team finished fifth at the IHSA state tournament on Feb. 10, its fourth straight top-six finish. …