Guddu Thermal Power Station
Arshad, Muhammad, Economic Review
Two things happened in the beginning of this century's second half, within ten years of each other: vast reservoirs of natural gas were discovered at Sui (Balochistan) in 1953 to pave the way for development of a gigantic power system in the years to come, and Guddu Barrage was constructed across the river Indus by WAPDA in 1963. Although no direct connection between the two events is apparent they together, in later years, transformed the unknown, minor village of Guddu, located about 10 km from Kashmore in the district of Jacobabad, 650 km south of Karachi, into a modern town. Then onwards things happened rather hurriedly. The irrigation system emanating from Guddu Barrage was instrumental in converting the wilderness into granary and the gas from Sui fields has made it possible to develop Pakistan's largest thermal generation complex with much need 1049 MW.
Plants for the construction of first phase of the Guddu Power Project took off in 1969, only 17 years ago, and during this period a new look has born in the area. The small, insignificant village of Guddu has emerged as a township with population of 15,000, provided with adequate health, education and other facilities which have brought urban life to the doorstep of the people living in a vast rural areas around the project site.
WAPDA has a mixed hydel and thermal power generation system, the former representing major share. This is quite natural for a country which has been endowed by the nature with sizeable hydel generation resources, and at the same time has rather limited fossil fuels at its disposal. But development of hydel power resources is a protracted process involving huge amount to develop large reservoirs like Mangla and Tarbela. In 1960's the process of industrialization and mechanised agriculture picked up in Pakistan for which adequate power supply became necessary. At that time a few diesel fed thermal power stations existed at Faisalabad, Multan, Shahdara etc., but discovery of natural gas at Sui gave birth to the plans of establishing a thermal generating plant in the closed source was increasingly felt in the face of the fact that the hydel generation at Mangla and Warsak depleted during winter months because of low river inflows.
Guddu 300 MW Combined Cycle Power Plant is an existing Guddu Thermal Power Station which comprises four conventional balanced draft/boiler/steam turbines (2 of 110 MW and 2 of 210 MW generating capacity) and a 600 MW Combined Cycle Plant (4 gas turbines and 2 steam turbines of 100 MW each). The commissioning of newly installed 300 MW Combined Cycle has boosted the generating capacity of Guddu Thermal Power Station up to 1,660 MW.
Scope of the Project
It was initially intended that the two Gas Turbines will generate 200 MW and one Steam Turbine will add another 100 MW of electric power, hence designated "300 MW Combined Cycle Power Plant". The units furnished by Siemens have a greater capacity, about 136 MW from each Gas Turbine and 147 MW from Steam Turbine. The scope of the project comprises specially of the following:-
* Two Gas Turbine and Generator units each rated 136 MW capacity, completed with auxiliaries and local control panels.
* One Steam Turbine and Generator unit of 147 MW capacity, complete with auxiliaries.
* Two units of Heat Recovery Steam Generators (HRSG), complete with auxiliaries.
* Step-up and Services Transformers, 220 KV cables, Switch-gears and associated Electric Equipment for transmitting the electric power plant to the National Grid.
* Associated Civil Works of Gas Turbine Building. Water Treatment Building, Intake Pumphouse and Cooling Tower. …