Students Score Scholarships; Attending Workshops for Financial Aid Garners Many Benefits
Allport, Brandy Hilboldt, The Florida Times Union
Byline: BRANDY HILBOLDT ALLPORT
Several college-bound students scored financial touchdowns when they attended College Goal Sunday. Not only did they learn how to fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form, they won scholarships. Attendance at the second annual event automatically qualified them for drawings.
The financial form is required for any student seeking aid, grants or loans for schools in the United States. Financial-aid professionals and graduate students lead seminars from noon to 5 p.m. at Florida Community College Advanced Technology Center in Jacksonville and at the Betty P. Cook Center in Yulee.
"We do this to benefit those who are striving to be successful," said Kevin Cotton, director of recruitment for Florida Community College at Jacksonville.
The event is usually a few weeks after the Super Bowl, thus the name. High school seniors can find out information about the 2009 event from guidance counselors, college fair organizers and financial-aid offices at colleges and universities.
The Duval County session included 145 students and 215 family members, said Debbie Ayer, an enrollment development coordinator for Florida Community College at Jacksonville. Here is a list of winners from the Jacksonville workshop:
THE RECIPIENTS ARE ...
- $1,000 to University of North Florida: Shannon Jones of Stanton College Preparatory School.
- $1,000 to Edward Waters College: Elise Jackson (school not available).
- $1,000 to FCCJ: Kenneth Jackson: Mandarin High School.
- $3,000 to Jacksonville University: Melba Hampton, A. Philip Randolph Academies of Technology.
- $500 to Nova Southeastern University: Danielle Walton, A. Philip Randolph Academies of Technology.
- $1,000 to University of North Florida: Willysa Jones, A. Philip Randolph Academies of Technology.
- $1,000 to Edward Waters College: Lance Walker, Andrew Jackson High School.
- 1,000 to FCCJ: Brent Foucht, Paxon School for Advanced Studies. …