Bull, Roger, The Florida Times Union
Byline: ROGER BULL
ALL RIGHT, MUSIC FANS, LISTEN UP
So what do Jimi Hendrix, Frank Zappa, Lou Reed, Janis Joplin, The Grateful Dead, Beck, Patti Smith and Iggy Pop have in common? They all had exactly one song make it to Billboard's Top 40. Now, it's up to you remember each song.
THIS SAYS IT ALL
Here's the headline that the New York Observer put on a story about Scarlett Johansson's twin brother leaving New York to work for Barack Obama: "Hunter Johansson, Bro of Ripe Peach, Saddles up for Denver: Scarlett's Reedy Bachelor Twin Ditches Borough Prez for Obama."
Is that journalism or what?
Last week, Barack Obama revealed some of the music on his iPod, a varied collection from Stevie Wonder to the Rolling Stones, Yo-Yo Ma to Jay-Z. We thought we suggest a few songs:
- The Revolution Starts Now, Steve Earle
- Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin On, Jerry Lee Lewis
- Fight the Power, Public Enemy
- Deal With the Preacher, Bad Company
- War (What Is it Good For?), Edwin Starr
- A Change Is Gonna Come, Sam Cooke
- Wishin' and Hopin', Dusty Springfield
- Let It Be Me, Everly Brothers
- Happy Ending, Mika
- Lip Gloss, Lil Mama (Just because we like the idea of him on the campaign bus, ear buds in, singing "My lip gloss is poppin', my lip gloss is cool.")
THEY SAID IT, WE PRINT IT
A few quotes from people who were born on June 30 which, as luck would have it, happens to be today:
"I hate shoes! As long as you get a pedicure every week, you're cool."
- FANTASIA BARRINO, American Idol winner, born 1984
- "You can't stay married in a situation where you are afraid to go to sleep in case your wife might cut your throat."
- Mike Tyson, boxer, born 1966
- "They're all so jealous in Hollywood. It's not enough to have a hit. Your best friend should also have a failure. …