WALES: Wards Closed by Vomiting Virus; Hospitals Battle to Control Infection
Byline: By KELLY FENNA
WARDS at Wrexham Maelor hospital have been hit by the diarrhoea and vomiting bug norovirus.
Four wards have been struck down by the infection in the last week.
Yesterday, the hospital's tally of people suffering from the bug stood at 32 since October 22.
New cases are constantly being reported at theWrexhamhospital, and doctors said they were taking no chances, keeping infected wards closed to new patients.
Only one bed is unoccupied on the two wards that were still closed to new admissions last night, but two wards have since reopened.
Hospital spokesman Andy Scotson said the cases are frequent because the bug is doing the rounds in the community.
At Ysbyty Glan Clwyd in Bodelwyddan, no cases were recorded in the last fortnight.
But in the weeks previously, one ward was partially closed for four days and 12 patients were affected.
Cases of the outbreak were recorded between October 3 and 13.
A North Wales NHS Trust spokeswoman said: "During that time, the medical ward was closed to new admissions for two days and partially closed for the other days."
Ysbyty Gwynedd in Bangor reported no recent problems at the main hospital.
Last night Mr Scotson described the situation at the Maelor as a nuisance.
"We are getting patients with the norovirus more frequently here in the east, it must be doing the rounds in the local community," he said.
"Two wards are affected at the moment which are closed to new admissions but there is only one bed that can't be used. …