'Coffee Break Extra: Quizopedia
Byline: by Mike Harris
1. Identify the famous US marriage which took place on the June 29, 1956 and headlined by the press as EGGHEAD MARRIES HOURGLASS.
2. What aspect of Hollywood life is Shirley MacLaine (1934- ) referring to here? "Oh, the voting is legitimate. But there's the sentimentality. One year when I was a candidate when Elizabeth Taylor got a hole in her throat, I cancelled my plane."
3. If a visitor to Wales visited 5 Cwmdonkin Drive in Swansea, who will he or she probably want to discuss with the owners, Geoff and Annie Haden?
4. Name the kings or queens who reigned between the following royal pairs: i) Edward the Confessor (1042-66) & William the Conqueror (1066-87, ii) Edward VI (1547-53) & Mary I (1553-58), and, iii) George V (1910-36) & George VI (1936-52) 5. What does the Arabic word "Islam" refer to?
6. Identify this closely-related group of males. Adolph, Herbert, Julius, Leonard and Milton.
7. Complete this sentence. "- sometimes occur in such huge numbers near the ocean's surface that their rosy colour appears to turn the water red."
8. Complete these famous pairs by supplying their common surnames: i) Amy & Lyndon Baines (aviation/politics) ii) Iris & Rupert (literature/communications), iii) Antoinette & Fred (cinema/sport), iv) Sir Arthur & John L (music/sport) & Tennessee & Emlyn (theatre/theatre).
9. In which English cathedral is there the only surviving example of an Anglo-Saxon door?
10. Why might a bookmaker feel very much at home reading this passage? "Ajax, Bismark, Burlington Bertie, Heinz and Scotch were a handful, always playing the monkey, raising the roof, invariably on the ear 'ole, but, basically lacking bottle and unable to face reality."
1. The marriage concerned was that of the playwright, Arthur Miller (1915-2005/All My Sons/1947)/Death Of A Salesman/1949/& The Crucible/1953) and actress Marilyn Monroe (1926-62/Gentlemen Prefer Blondes/1953/The Seven Year Itch/1955/Some Like It Hot/1959. …