Local Governments Honored for Technology Innovations
Seventeen cities and counties recently received national recognition in the annual Technology Achievement Awards competition, sponsored by Public Technology, Inc. (PTI.)
The awards highlight local government technology initiatives that improve services to citizens, cut costs, and boost revenues. Top winners in this year's contest were:
* Norfolk, Va .--city-school-business Internet conference at a local technology magnet school involved 400 city staff and the donation by the private sector of 400 Pentium personal computers to schools and libraries. Contact: Ron Hodges, (757) 664-4795; email@example.com.
* Aurora, Colo.-- Automatic Location and Tracking System uses GIS and voice recognition technology to assess local infrastructure conditions. Contact: Steve Reneker, (303) 739-7559; sreneker@ elect.ci.aurora.co.us.
* Fort Worth, Tex.--police digital offense reporting system saved 40,000 hours of officer time in the first year and cut response time to citizen phone reports by 86 percent. Contact: T.J. Brown, (817) 877-8255.
* Montgomery County, Md.--building energy retrofit program increased energy efficiency by 40 percent and generated annual operating cost savings of $108,000. Contact: Paul Tseng, (301) 217-6110.
* Scottsdale, Ariz.--GIS technology used to successfully challenge the Census Bureau's mid-decade count, thus securing $9 million in new per capita revenues over the next five years. Contact: Greg Larson, (602) 994-2332; glarson@ ci.scottsdale.az.us.
* Tucson, Ariz.--summer jobs program used high school students from high-risk, low-income neighborhoods to script, film, edit, and produce locally relevant 9-1-1 videos. Contact: Anita Velasco, (520) 791-3111.
* Santa Monica, Calif.--Public Electronic Network gives 7,500 local residents and businesses round-the-clock access to city information and services via public terminals, the Internet, and multimedia kiosks. Contact: Keith Kurtz, (310) 458-8383; kkurtz@ pen.ci.santa-monica.ca.us.
* Dallas, Tex.--automatic vehicle locator technology is saving time and lives by assigning the closest possible rescue vehicle to an incident scene. …