National Research Council of the Philippines Celebrates Its 75th Anniversary at the Historic Landmark Manila Hotel on December 8, 2008
THE National Research Council of the Philippine Islands was created on December 8, 1933, by Act No. 4120 of the Ninth Philippine Legislature. It was established to promote the advancement of science through researches and build up a body of Filipino men and women devoted to scientific research. It was to convene regularly as an organization and formulate national plans to solve problems on health, sanitation, agriculture, industry, and others. A group of 114 prominent scientists and technologists were named charter members of the National Research Council of the Philippine Islands. It was renamed the National Research Council of the Philippines (NRCP) after the country's independence in 1946.
During the 1982 reorganization under Executive Order No. 784, the Council was designated as a Sectoral Council engaged in supporting research of basic or fundamental nature. It was attached to the National Science and Technology Authority for policy and program coordination.
In 1987, when Executive Order No. 128 further reorganized the country's science and technology sector, NRCP was stripped of its functions and responsibilities as a Sectoral Council and its name was changed to the Philippine National Science Society. It remained attached to the Department of Science and Technology. In December, 1990, Republic Act 6974 restored the name of the agency to National Research Council of the Philippines. …