Library Visits and Consultation: A Case Study of Universities in Northwestern India
Sharma, Chetan, Library Philosophy and Practice
The primary focus of a library is service. It is widely recognized that service quality and consumer satisfaction are essential for retaining current consumers and attracting new ones. The traditional method of measuring the quality of an academic library in quantifiable terms of its collection and use does not offer an indication of the quality of service, and new ways to measure quality in libraries have emerged during the past decade. Although every teacher and research scholar now have ready access to online resources, the role of the traditional documents is still important.
The present study is a survey of teachers and research scholars of different universities of Northwestern India . A questionnaires was distributed to the sample population selected for the study. Random sampling was used to select those surveyed. Out of 1,500 questionnaires distributed, 1,124 were returned. Of the 1,124 respondents, 57 percent are research scholars and the remaining 43 percent are faculty members. Data were analyzed using percentages chi-square and t-test. The universities surveyed under the study are:
State University Abbreviation A. Haryana Kurukshetra University Kurukshetra KUK Maharishi Dayanand University, Rohtak MDU Guru Jembheswar University, Hisar GJU Chaudhary Charn Singh Haryana Agriculture CCSHAU University, Hisar B. Punjab Punjab University, Chandigarh PU Panjabi University, Patiala Pbi Uni. Guru Nanak Dev University, Amritsar GNDU Punjab Agriculture University, Ludhiana PAU C. Himachal Himachal Pardesh University, Simla HPU Pardesh Chaudhary Swarn Kumar Krishi Viswvidyalya, CSKKVV Palampur YS Parmar Univ. Y.S. Parmar University of Forestry and Horticulture, Noani (Solan) D. Delhi University of Delhi, Delhi DU Jawahar Lal University, Delhi JNU Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha GGSIPU University, Delhi Jamia Millia Islamia University, Delhi JMI
All these universities are recognized by the University Grants Commission (UGC) of India .
Significant studies have been conducted on the use of libraries by students, research scholars, and faculty members. Jorosi (2006) looked at information needs and information seeking behaviours of small and medium-sized enterprise (SME) managers in Botswana 's manufacturing industry, using a self-administered questionnaire. The key findings of the study are that SME managers devote a significant amount of time to active information-seeking and spend an average of five hours per week seeking information on customer and competition information.
Bouazza and Mufaraji (2005) looked at school library use by teachers, finding that 36 percent use the library Once a week, while and 32 percent rarely use the library. Similarly, Shokeen and Kaushik (2002), who looked at the information-seeking behavior of social scientists found that a large majority of respondents visited the library daily, and a significant number twice a week. Singh (2002) conducted a study on faculty members at the University of Delhi. He found that 36 percent visit the library to prepare notes for teaching, and that nearly 60 percent visit the library two-to-four times a week.
Lohar and Kumbar (2002) found that a majority of respondents visit the library to consult textbooks or reference books and to read newspapers and popular magazines. Nearly 70 percent consulted the library catalogue. …