Today in History
Today is Thursday, February 12, the 43rd day of 2009. There are 322 days left in the year. Highlights in history on this date:
* 1554 - Lady Jane Grey is executed for treason in England.
* 1577 - Don John of Austria, new Governor of the Netherlands, issues edict to settle civil war.
* 1736 - Nadir Shah becomes King of Persia.
* 1851 - Edward Hargraves discovers gold at Summerhill Creek in NSW, triggering the Australian gold rush.
* 1899 - Germany buys Pacific islands of Marianas, Carolines and Palau from Spain.
* 1907 - More than 300 people die in the US when the steamer Larchmont collides with a schooner off New England's Block Island.
* 1908 - First round-the-world car race begins in New York.
* 1912 - Pu Yi, the last emperor of China, abdicates, ending more than 2,000 years of imperial rule.
* 1924 - Tutankhamen's sarcophagus is opened to reveal his coffin, 15 months after the tomb was first discovered.
* 1924 - George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue premieres in New York City. …