Today in History
Today is Tuesday, February 24, the 55th day of 2009. There are 310 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date
* 1525 - Spanish army, using muskets for first time in war, route French and Swiss forces at Pavia, Italy, as 14,000 men are slain in battle.
* 1771 - Encyclopaedia Britannica first published.
* 1875 - 102 die when steamer Gotenburg hits a reef south of Townsville, North Queensland.
* 1920 - Nazi Party is organised in Germany.
* 1968 - Australian Prime Minister John Gorton wins House of Representatives seat of Higgins vacated after predecessor Harold Holt disappeared in surf two months earlier.
* 1968 - Coalition government led by Liberal Robin Askin is returned to power for second term in NSW.
* 1981 - Buckingham Palace announces engagement of Prince Charles and Lady Diana Spencer.
* 1989 - Cargo door of a United Airlines jumbo jet blows out on a flight from Los Angeles to Sydney; nine passengers are killed.
* 1905 - Death of French novelist Jules Verne. …