Top Tipple Tides Ipswich Over
Byline: Marilyn Lenihan
IPSWICH and district had its fair share of hotels and soft drink factories in the 1890s and early 1900s to satisfy a thirsty population and here are some of the places listed at that time.
Robert William Le Grand settled at Milbong early in 1873 and took up an area of 840 acres in that district.
He started wine making and was the pioneer in the distillation of spirits from purely Queensland products.
His property, Wooyumboong, continued its wine making and distillation until about 1890.
The Booval Brewery was erected in Booval and opened for business in May 1898.
This building was less than a quarter mile from the Brisbane Road and was situated behind the Butter Factory.
When beer from this brewery was launched it was available at some hotels in Ipswich - Belle Vue, Caledonian, Harp of Erin, North Star, Palais Royal, Queensland, Ulster, Bull's Head, Commercial, North Australian, One Mile, Prince Alfred Booval, Railway at Goodna, Union and National Down Street North Ipswich.
The beverage was considered to be a light, mild beer most suitable for the Queensland climate.
Bell's Unfermented Wines sold at Roses Universal Emporium in March 1899.
Priced at 18 shillings a dozen or one shilling and six-pence a bottle, the Maderia was "as a perfect Sacramental wine for churches and invaluable for invalids".
WG Livermore and his East Street business in 1900 was a manufacturer of aerated waters, cordials, vinegar, hop beer, horehound, Booval double soda water and root beer. He also had the sole right to bottle Vino and Clicher Squash. Marchant and Co were mineral water makers and hop beer brewers and were the sole bottlers of Kolacene. …