Today in History
TODAY is Friday, January 16, the 16th day of 2009. There are 349 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 1547- Ivan the Terrible is crowned Russia's first czar.
* 1761- British take Pondicherry after siege, marking end of French dominion in India.
* 1917- Germans propose in a telegram that Mexico become Germany's ally with a view to recovering Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. The telegram is intercepted, hastening the US entry into World War I.
* 1920- Prohibition, the legal prevention of the manufacture, sale, or transportation of alcoholic drinks, begins as the 18th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution takes effect. It is later repealed.
* 1964- Thirteen Arab nations, meeting in Cairo, agree to set up military command to strengthen Arab position on problems related to Israel.
* 1964- The musical "Hello, Dolly!," starring Carol Channing, opens on Broadway in New York, USA, beginning a run of 2844 performances.
* 1969- Soviet cosmonauts achieve first linkup of two manned spaceships while in orbit around earth. …