Today in History
TODAY is Friday, May 8, the 128th day of 2009. There are 237 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 1789 - Supply ship Sirius returns to Sydney from Cape Town with provisions.
* 1876 - Death of Truganini, formerly believed to be the last Tasmanian Aborigine, but now a symbol of the struggle and survival of the island state's indigenous population.
* 1901 - Federal Labor Party is founded in Australia with JC Watson as leader.
* 1907 - Carlton and United Breweries is formed from the union of six major Melbourne breweries.
* 1916 - Forces from Australia and New Zealand arrive in France during World War I.
* 1942 - Battle of the Coral Sea ends when a US fleet turns back a Japanese invasion force heading for Port Moresby.
* 1943 - Twenty-five Australian defence personnel die when their bus collides with a train at a level crossing near Wodonga, Victoria.
* 1948 - Margaret McIntyre becomes first woman elected to Tasmanian parliament.
* 1970 - Up to 200,000 Australians participate in demonstrations against the Vietnam War. …