Gas and Fire Safety Regulations Breached
Byline: THOMAS GEORGE
TWO recent cases have shown the need for landlords to comply fully with gas and fire safety regulations. The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) is warning landlords to ensure gas appliances are safe for tenants after two people were poisoned by carbon monoxide (CO), from a boiler in their flat that had not been properly maintained.
Mr Soley Fikret, landlord of a block of flats in Hackney, London, was fined pounds 4,000 and ordered to pay pounds 1,500 costs at the Old Bailey, after pleading guilty to two breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998.
The HSE Inspector said: "Landlords must act responsibly. This case should be a warning to landlords who don't bother to look after their tenants. In this instance it was lucky that no-one was killed. Had the carbon monoxide poisoning happened slightly later in the night, this incident could have resulted in a terrible tragedy."
It is the responsibility of every landlord to have all gas appliances checked on an annual basis by a registered gas installer. It is also essential that any new gas appliances, which includes flues and ventilation systems to be installed by a registered gas installer. In January 2007, an ambulance was called to the block in Hackney where paramedics found one tenant suffering from heart attack symptoms and another they were unable wake. …