Byline: Mike Harris
The first correct entry opened wins a WH Smith book token worth pounds 10. Entries should be sent with completed coupons to Prize Crossword, The Western Mail, Six Park Street, Cardiff, CF10 1XR, to arrive no later than Thursday. The editor's decision is final and no correspondence can be exchanged 1. What type of building did Anthony Jones in his Welsh Chapels say was, "Without question, the national architecture of Wales"? 2. Name the C18th British navigator and explorer who devised a diet high in Vitamin C which maintained the health of his crew so that, during his two completed voyages, none of them died through scurvy.
3. Complete these US standard song titles recorded by the peerless pair, Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong on July 16, 1956: i) A F--- R------, ii) A ----- Day, iii) ---- -- -- Friends? iv) C---- to C----, v) I ---'- Dance, vi) Let's ---- --- Whole ----- ---, vii) Love -- ---- Stay, and, viii) Moon----- -- ---mont. 4. Identify an originally Spanish version of the English Robin Hood.
5. The following sequence is named after its Italian mathematical "author": ( 0 1 ) 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144. i) Explain the pattern, and, ii) who was its creator?
6. What is a Lingua Franca? 7. President Franklin D Roosevelt (1882-1945) and Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher (1925- ) were their countries' political leaders between 1932 and 1945 and 1979 and 1990, respectively. List their US or UK equivalents during these extended periods.
8. Why did J Robert Oppenheimer (1904-67) say on the July 16, 1945, "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds"?
9. Identify which of these individual Southern African countries has the greatest number of borders: Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia, Zimbabwe 10. "The view north across Cardigan Bay from Harlech embraces a harmony of water, wood and mountain with, on the distant shore, what appears a Mediterranean mirage of village campanile." What is the writer actually looking at here? Thatcher's Downing Street reign were Jimmy Carter, Ronald Reagan and George Bush Snr.
J Robert Oppenheimer said this on the day when, in New Mexico, the first atom bomb test took place.
Zambia - eight; that is, with each of the countries in the question 10.
The writer was journalist and editor, Sir Simon Jenkins (1943- ) and he was describing Portmeirion in Gwynedd.
QUIZOPEDIA ANSWERS Mike Harris during presidents US Attlee.
Clement & Churchill Winston Chamberlain, Neville Baldwin, Stanley Macdonald, Ramsay were House White the at was Roosevelt whilst power in PMs English 7.
different of peoples between communication of medium a as serving language a is Franca Lingua 6.
c1250) c1170- ( Fibonacci Leonardo ii) 144.
= 55 + 89 & 89, = 55 + 34 34, = 13 + 21 21, = 8 + 13 13, = 8 + 5 5, = 3 + 2 2, = 1 + 1 - i) two: previous the of sum the is number following each and 1 and 0 are numbers two first The 5.
of Curse The as known originally book the 1919, in 1958) 1883-( McCulley Johnston writer pulp-the by created was He Fox).
The ( Zorro to shortened Vega, la de Diego Don is Hood Robin of version Spanish The 4. …