Today in History
Today is Wednesday July 29, the 210th day of 2009. There are 155 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 1030 - King Olaf, patron saint of Norway, is killed in battle.
* 1565 - Mary Queen of Scots marries Henry, Lord Darnley, in Edinburgh.
* 1890 - Vincent van Gogh, Dutch post-impressionist painter, dies two days after shooting himself.
* 1914 - Transcontinental telephone service begins in the US with first phone conversation between New York and San Francisco.
* 1930 - Airship R100 sets out on its first passenger-carrying flight from England to Canada.
* 1948 - First Olympic Games after World War II open in London at Wembley Stadium.
* 1957 - International Atomic Energy Agency is established.
* 1958 - US President Dwight Eisenhower signs the National Aeronautics and Space Act, which creates NASA.
* 1981 - Prince Charles marries Lady Diana Spencer at St Paul's Cathedral in London.
* 1994 - Two people, including a doctor wearing a bulletproof vest, are shot and killed outside an abortion clinic by an anti-abortion protester in Florida. …