Today in History
TODAY is Monday, August 3, the 215th day of 2009. There are 150 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 1846 - Opening of one of Australia's oldest boys' school, Hutchins School in Hobart.
* 1852 - First steamship to arrive in Sydney, SS Chusan, berths after 80-day journey from England.
* 1858 - Lake Victoria, the source of the Nile, is discovered by English explorer John Speke.
* 1860 - The second Maori War begins.
* 1891 - Australia's second-biggest bank at the time, the Bank of Van Diemen's Land closes after incurring a debt of one million pounds.
* 1914 - Germany declares war on France; Belgium refuses Germany's request to allow its troops to enter the country; Britain warns Germany against invading Belgium.
* 1936 - Black US athlete Jesse Owens wins the first of his four gold medals at the Berlin Olympics.
* 1963 - After nearly 300 performances at the Cavern Club, Liverpool, since 1961, the Beatles play there for the last time.
* 1966 - Death of Lenny Bruce, US comedian, from overdose. …