Today in History
TODAY is Monday, August 17, the 229th day of 2009. There are 136 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 1896 - Prospecting party led by George Carmack discovers gold on Rabbit Creek in Alaska, a find that touched off the Klondike gold rush.
* 1950 - The Republic of Indonesia is restored.
* 1962 - East German border guards shoot and mortally wound 18-year-old Peter Fechter, who had attempted to cross the Berlin Wall into the western sector.
* 1980 - Baby Azaria Chamberlain disappears from Ayers Rock campsite in central Australia.
* 1982 - The first CDs begin rolling off an assembly line in Hanover, Germany.
* 1987 - Former Nazi deputy fuehrer Rudolf Hess dies at 93.
* 1988 - Pakistan's President Zia ul-Haq and US Ambassador Arnold Raphel are killed when their Pakistani military plane explodes.
* 1991 - Wade Frankum runs amok with automatic rifle and knife at Strathfield in Sydney, killing seven people and himself.
* 1997 - Reporters sweep the Aegean Sea to find Britain's Princess Diana, who jetted to Greece for a cruise after a furore erupts over reports of an affair with millionaire Dodi Fayed. …