Today in History
TODAY is Thursday, September 3, the 246th day of 2009. There are 119 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 1609- English navigator Henry Hudson, looking for a passage to India on behalf of the Dutch West India Company, sails into what becomes known as New York harbour and up the river that now bears his name.
* 1658- Death of Oliver Cromwell, English soldier and statesman who led parliamentary forces in the Civil War, aged 59.
* 1783- The Treaty of Paris ending the American War of Independence is signed by Britain and the United States.
* 1888- American George Eastman patents his roll film camera and registers the name Kodak.
* 1901- Australian flag is flown in public for the first time, over the Melbourne Exhibition Building.
* 1918- Death of Sir John Forrest, Australian explorer and statesman who led expeditions into Australia's western interior and was Western Australia's first premier (1890-1901).
* 1935- At the Bonneville Salt Flats, Utah, Sir Malcolm Campbell's racing car is timed at 301. …