Today in History
Today is Tuesday, December 15, the 349th day of 2009. There are 16 days left in the year.
Highlights in history on this date:
* 1890 -Chief Sitting Bull of the Sioux is killed during an attempt to arrest him by reservation police in the US state of South Dakota.
* 1939 -The motion picture Gone With the Wind premieres in Atlanta, in the United States.
* 1961 -Former Nazi Adolf Eichmann is sentenced to death in Jerusalem.
* 1990 -Cattle rancher Darly Alves da Silva and his son Darci Alves Pereira are convicted of murdering Brazilian rain forest defender Chico Mendes.
* 1993 -Offering the Irish Republican Army a chance that "might never come their way again", British and Irish leaders sign a complex framework for negotiating peace in Northern Ireland.
* 1994 -The Swedish government decides not to salvage the bodies from the ferry Estonia, which sank in the Baltic, killing 800 people. The decision is opposed by relatives.
* 1995 -Pioneer 6, a spacecraft launched on a journey through the solar system on December 16, 1965, gets an early happy birthday call from NASA and answers back. …