A SCOUT IS ... One Hundred Years Ago This Month, the Boy Scouts of America Was Incorporated "To Teach Patriotism, Courage, Self-Reliance and Kindred Values." A Century Later, the Organization Is Still Going Strong, Serving More Than 4 Million Boys - and Girls - Dedicated to Following the 12 Points of the Scout Law
A Boy Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent.
But a Boy Scout isn't necessarily a boy.
The 17-county North Florida Council of Boy Scouts of America served more than 50,000 people last year. Fewer than 10 percent of those were traditional Boy Scouts. Here are some of the programs that fall under the council's jurisdiction:
- Cub Scouts: 11,452 boys took part in Cub Scouts last year, which is a beginning program for boys in grades 1-5.
- Boy Scouts: 4,743 boys ages 11-18 were involved in the main Boy Scouts program, learning leadership, outdoors, self-discovery and community service skills.
- Venturing and Sea Scouts: 633 young men and women ages 14-20 participated in these programs, which teach leadership and character skills through high-adventure treks on land and at sea.
- Career Exploring: 874 high school and college students, male and female, learned about business, firefighting, medical and law enforcement careers.
- Special Needs: 1,009 boys and girls with intellectual and physical disabilities participated in this classroom-based Learning for Life program, a partnership with the Girl Scouts.
- Character Education: 24,833 kids at 18 schools in Duval and Putnam counties enrolled in Learning for Life. Teachers implement the program, which teaches responsibility and ethics.
- Adult leaders: 6,633 adults volunteered to lead Boy Scout programs.
For information about the Boy Scouts, or if you are interested in joining or volunteering, call (904) 388-0591 or go to www.nfcscouting.org.
Adventure Base 100, a 10,000-square-foot traveling attraction that celebrates the 100th anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America, will be in town next month. The attraction includes a ropes course, a "GoScouting! …