Report on the Twenty-Third International Florida Artificial Intelligence Research Society Conference (FLAIRS-23)
Murray, R. Charles, Guesgen, Hans W., AI Magazine
Conference participants gathered from 20 countries, with a majority from the USA and significant numbers from Canada, France, Mexico, Ireland, Japan, Germany, Spain, and the Czech Republic. The special tracks were AI, Cognitive Semantics, and Computational Linguistics: New Perspectives; Applied Natural Language Processing; Artificial Intelligence Education; Case-Based Reasoning; Cognition and AI: Capturing Cognitive Plausibility and Informing Psychological Processes; Data Mining; Games and Entertainment; Intelligent Tutoring Systems; and Uncertain Reasoning.
A total of 170 submissions were received, of which 112 were to the special tracks and 58 were to the general conference. Of these, 83 (49 percent) were accepted as full papers and 28 (16 percent) were accepted as posters for an overall acceptance rate of 65 percent. The Best Paper award went to Sidney D'Mello, Blair Lehman, and Natalie Person for "Expert Tutors' Feedback Is Immediate, Direct, and Discriminating" in the special track on Intelligent Tutoring Systems. The Best Student Paper award went to Rong Hu, Brian Mac Namee, and Sarah Jane Delany for "Off to a Good Start: Using Clustering to Select the Initial Training Set in Active Learning" in the general conference. The Best Poster award went to Robert Holder for "Problem Space Analysis for Library Generation and Algorithm Selection in Real-Time Systems" in the general conference.
In addition to a diverse assortment of papers and posters presented at the conference, FLAIRS-23 featured an excellent set of keynote speakers. The general conference invited speakers were Eugene Charniak of Brown University, presenting "Cognitively Plausible Parsing"; Herbert H. Clark of Stanford University, who presented "Rational Ways of Talking"; and Janet L. …