Ending Couch Potato Culture
What does your job entail? I help clients improve their quality of life through exercise, and some biokineticists also assist sports people to do better or focus on rehabilitation following injury or disease.
People need to be physically active to remain healthy, but people today tend to be sedentary. Most of us use lifts instead of taking the stairs, and some people need help finding ways of being physically active, like taking up sports or going to the gym. Biokineticists assist them to work out which exercises are best and monitor their progress.
Some corporates employ biokineticists to develop exercise programmes for their employees. They are also involved in the development of specialised training programmes at government departments like the SA National Defence Force, SA Police Services and Correctional Services, and several big municipalities.
Biokineticists at universities are involved in research and the training of students, and some universities of technology have biokineticists providing a service.
Describe your average work day: I spend about 40 percent of my time on administrative tasks, which include keeping records of patients, working out safe activity programmes, billing and correspondence. The other 60 percent of my day is spent with clients.
At the first session I assess their condition by gathering information about their medical history, training programmes and past injuries. I also test their levels of aerobic fitness, muscle strength and flexibility, co-ordination and posture. …