Centennial Awards Presented
At its Annual General Meeting, the MHS presented awards to two organizations that have operated continuously in Manitoba for over 100 years, along with one centennial business.
The Brandon Young Women's Christian Association opened in 1907, in a three-storey building on 14th Street. Two years later, the organization moved to a new site on 11th Street and the Brandon YWCA was formally incorporated by an Act of the Provincial Legislature. A building at 148-11th Street was unveiled in 1917, built in part with a $10,000 bequest from the estate of Brandon businessman Henry Meredith, who had arrived in Brandon in 1883 and made his fortune as an insurance agent and broker. In 2002, the building was named Meredith Place in recognition of this early support. Through the years, the Brandon YWCA has offered a variety of services to the community, including a Business Girls' Club; a New Canadians Club; wartime services; classes in English language, self-improvement, employment, and literacy; teen clubs, and a day care. Y's Choice Consignment Shop offered clothing and household goods between 1962 and 2002, and the Westman Women's Shelter opened on the third floor in 1978. In particular, the YWCA has been a safe refuge for rural women who moved into the city for job training and employment. Since the 1980s, Meredith Place with its 21 bedrooms has served women and men in need of housing. An MHS Centennial Organization Award was presented to Nickole Wlasichuk on behalf of the Brandon YWCA.
Designed by Winnipeg school architect J. B. Mitchell and named for the British military general Frederick Roberts (1832-1914), Lord Roberts School was built in 1910 at the intersection of John Street (now Daly Street South) and Beresford Avenue, at a cost of about $90,000. Its 16 classrooms were designed to accommodate up to 700 students. The school opened in January 1911. A second building was added along Beresford Avenue, with eight more classrooms, in April 1920. It featured an auditorium complete with stage. The longest wing ran along Beresford. A smaller north wing with three classrooms and washroom facilities ran behind Building 1, with playground space between the two schools. …