Warm Up with Bowl of Chicken Soup from B'nai Isreal
* What could be better than a bowl of Jewish chicken soup on a cold winter day? The Sisterhood of Temple B'nai Israel invites the community to the second annual Chicken Soup lunch from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 19, at the temple, 400 N. Edgelawn in Aurora. Lunch will include a bowl of soup with matzo balls or noodles (or both), salad, homemade bread and dessert -- all for only $8 a person. Take out or eat-in. For more information, call the temple at (630) 892-2450. Visit temple-bnai-israel.org.
* Bethany Lutheran Church, along with Heartland Blood Center, will be hosting a community blood drive from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 19, at the church, 8 S. Lincoln St. in Batavia. To schedule your appointment, use the link on the website, bethanybatavia.org, or call the church office at (630) 879-3444. Receive a shirt as our way of saying "thank you" for your lifesaving donation.
* The Third Tuesday Suppers will be from 4:30 to 7 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 21, at Geneva United Methodist Church, 211 Hamilton St. The church is continuing its free, no reservations needed, community meal in the first-floor dining hall. It will feature the "Famous Potato Bar," with all the trimmings for a baked potato, such as chili; broccoli and cheese; chipped beef; sour cream, chives, bacon bits and grated cheddar; Caesar salad; homemade fruit-themed desserts; and coffee, milk and lemonade. In addition, hot dogs and chips are available. Diners may eat in the elevator accessible dining hall or carry out their meal. Anyone wishing to donate money to the supper program can do so via the website or by sending a check to the church office marked Third Tuesday Suppers. For details, visit thirdtuesdaysuppers.com or call (630) 232-7120.
* Hosanna! Lutheran Church in St. Charles will have Lenten worship beginning on Ash Wednesday, Feb. 22. Services at noon and 6:30 p.m. will include Holy Communion and the imposition of ashes on the forehead. During the rest of the Lenten season, special midweek services will be held every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. through April 4. All in the community are invited to join on these Wednesdays, and for regular weekend worship. For information call the church office at (630) 584-6434, email at Welcome@HosannaChurch.com or visit HosannaChurch.com. Hosanna!, a Lutheran Congregations in Mission for Christ church, is at 36W925 Red Gate Road (entrance just east of Randall Road) in St. Charles.
* Saints Peter & Paul Church in Virgil will hold its annual Lenten Fish Fries from 5 to 8 p.m. Fridays, Feb. 24-March 30, at the church, Route 64 and Meredith Road. Cost is $10-$13 for adults, $4-$6.50 for children, age 5 to 10, and free for children younger than 5. Carryout is available. For more information or to place a carryout order, call (630) 365-6618.
* Fox Valley Presbyterian Women invite all to attend an event at 7 p.m. Thursday, March 1 at the church, 227 East Side Drive in Geneva. …