Dean, School of Education: The University of San Francisco Invites Applications for the Position of Dean of the School of Education to Begin in MAY 2013-2014
The University of San Francisco is recognized nationally and internationally as a premier Jesuit, Catholic, urban University with a global perspective that educates leaders who will fashion a more humane and just world. The University offers undergraduate, graduate, and professional students the knowledge and skills needed to succeed as persons and professionals, and the values and sensitivity necessary to be men and women for others.
Established as San Francisco's first institution of higher education in 1855, the University of San Francisco presently serves over 10,000 students in Arts and Sciences, Education, Law, Management, Nursing and Health Professions. The University is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse institutions in the country and in 2009 it was ranked as one of the top 100 universities considered to be "Saviors of our Cities." In addition, the Corporation for National and Community Service has placed the University of San Francisco in the President's Honor Roll for 6 years in a row and the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching has classified the University of San Francisco as a community-engaged institution.
The School of Education programs began in 1947 and currently offers graduate programs (Masters and EdD) on-campus (San Francisco, Sacramento, Santa Rosa, San Jose, Pleasanton) as well as online.
The School of Education's website may be viewed at www.usfca.edu/soe/
The Dean serves as the Chief Academic Officer of the School, and is responsible for the design, development, and delivery of more than 25 academic programs that currently serve approximately 960 graduate students. The dean supervises 42 full-time faculty, approximately 75 part-time faculty, and 28 staff members. Faculty excel in teaching, research and service with interests as varied as K-12 urban education and teacher training, school and family counseling, digital media and learning, human rights education, special education, international and multicultural education, learning and instruction, and leadership studies including Catholic Educational Leadership. The University is searching for a visionary leader who will build on what is already a strong School in order to reach new levels of scholarly achievement and impact. In addition, the Dean:
* Ensures the quality of academic programs, faculty, staff, and students; prepares and administers the School's annual budget; carries out strategic planning; recommends appointment, promotion, tenure, and termination of faculty and provides teaching and research faculty development resources including encouraging, supporting and advocating for excellence in teaching and research; and, works collaboratively within the context of a unionized environment.
* Provides leadership and vision to the School, works with faculty and staff to create an academic, cultural, and physical environment conducive to scholarship, intellectual vitality, and learning; and establishes and nurtures a supportive diverse work environment.
* Promotes the Vision, Mission and Values of the University as a Jesuit Catholic institution through the activities and programs of the School and works with other University administrators to assure the well-being and success of the University of San Francisco.
* As an executive officer of the university, envisions future trends, challenges, and opportunities in higher education and how USF can lead the way.
* Engages in curriculum updating and new program development including new methods of delivery.
* Supports the continuous improvement of the School through procedures relevant to the assurance of student learning including program review, assessment, and programmatic and institutional accreditation. …