Bohol's Eco-Cultural Tourism Centerpiece Opens
Tagbilaran City, Bohol, (PIA) - A fenced complex, neatly tucked along the city's main thoroughfare, yet inconspicuous for its distance from the buzz of traffic, is fast becoming a tourism centerpiece for city tours here.
The complex includes three more buildings indicating to all and sundry Bohol's development priorities in the present administration.
Governor Edgar Chatto is urging the inclusion of Bohol Tourism Complex which has been retrofitted to bring back its grandeur as a residence of past governors in city tours. Chatto recently inducted tour guide members belonging to the Kahugpungan sa mga Bol-anong Tour Guides (KABOG) Inc. at the main hall of the Mansion, the complex's centerpiece heritage structure. The complex features the Governors' Mansion, the official city residence of the governor, which was built in 1920's and which is now used as a dormitory for girls from out of town who are students at the Bohol Provincial High School.
During the incumbency of then Governor Carlos P. Garcia, a native of Talibon town, the building was transformed into his official city residence.
It was then called the Governor's Mansion, a name that stuck until after the EDSA revolution in 1986.
During the Second World War, apanese Imperial Army officers used it as their billeting quarters. After years of neglect, the building underwent a major face-lifting by a local architect in the administration of Governor Lino Chatto.
Architect Venerando Dumadag transformed the structure into now stately mini-Malacanang of Bohol, complete with a well manicured lawn and lit-up fountain.
In the late 1980's, the Governor's Mansion was renamed People's Mansion, a name it retained until recently.
The ascent of Gov. Edgar Chatto to power also marked a new change for the People's Mansion. …