Elections to Be Held at APHA's 141st Annual Meeting
Late, Michele, The Nation's Health
APHA HAS announced the 2013 candidates for its top elected membership positions, as selected by the Association's Nominations Committee. Two members are vying for the position of Association president-elect, while eight candidates are contending for slots on APHA's Executive Board.
In the presidential race, Shiriki Kumanyika, PhD, MPH, is running against Giorgio Piccagli, PhD, MPH.
Kumanyika is a professor of epidemiology at the University of Pennsylvania's Perelman School of Medicine and serves as the school's associate dean for health promotion and disease prevention. Within APHA, Kumanyika has held a range of leadership positions, including Executive Board chair, Food and Nutrition Section chair and member of many Association committees.
Piccagli is a principal at Systems & Solutions, a public health management consulting company, working as a planner, mediator and facilitator. Within APHA, Piccagli has held a range of leadership positions, including Executive Board chair, Health Administration Section chair and Governing Council representative
In the Executive Board race, eight candidates are running for four positions:
* Gail Bellamy, PhD, a professor and director of the Center for Rural Health Research and Policy at Florida State University;
* Jose Ramon Fernandez-Pena, MD, MPA, an associate professor in the Department of Health Education at San Francisco State University;
* Ella Greene-Moton, community education coordinator at the Center for Public Health and Community Genomics;
* Debbie Hettler, OD, MPH, FAAO, clinical director of associated health education at the Department of Veterans Affairs;
* Barbara Levin, MPH, MD, a consultant for the Delmarva Foundation for Medical Care;
* Shirley Orr, MHS, ARNP, NEA-BC, a public health consultant and president of SOCO Consulting;
* Selena Smith, MPA, director of operations and fiscal management at the Office of Urban Health and Diversity Programs within the University of Illinois at Chicago's School of Public Health; and
* Rosemary Sokas, MD, MOH, MSc, a professor and chair of the Department of Human Science at the Georgetown University School of Nursing and Health Studies. …