Mundelein Park District Marks Achievements
Park, Mundelein, Submission, Recreation District, Daily Herald (Arlington Heights, IL)
Byline: Mundelein Park & Recreation District submission
It was one "heck of a year" at Mundelein Park & Recreation District in 2013, which was a big success thanks to the community.
From parks and facility improvements to outstanding awards and programs, MPRD continues to offer more, while keeping cost savings and sustainability in mind.
* The district partnered with Healthy Minds Healthy Bodies (www.healthymindshealthy bodies.org), assisting injured, ill or wounded veterans with the transition to civilian life through health and fitness. Benefits include free memberships and personal training. The program is offered at the district's Park View Health & Fitness Center on Midlothian Road. Call (847) 388-5430.
* The Community Garden Program "sprouted" outdoor enjoyment, nutrition resources, meeting neighbors and donations to the food bank. Registration for plots begins in February.
* The district was awarded the prestigious Illinois Park & Recreation Association () Outstanding Program Award. The district's Rec Connection was recognized for its unique and quality before- and after-school programming serving kids in kindergarten through fifth grade in Mundelein's Elementary District 75. For information or to enroll, call (847) 388-5452. Also, for the second year, the district was awarded the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence in Financial Reporting by the Government Finance Officers Association of the United States.
* MPRD has grown with 17 newly-acquired acres on the south side of Mundelein that features dense woodlands, valuable wetlands and wildlife habitats. It also provides for future recreation opportunities such as playing fields, parking and improved access/connection to Clearbrook Park.
There also are improvements residents may not have noticed:
* Playground fall zones improvements included shock-absorbing surfaces for better climbing, jumping and swinging.
* Greater access and use came with improvements to park and building compliance in association with the Americans with Disabilities Act. …