Becton Proposal Targets Principals: Schools Chief Seeks 1-Year Appointments
Spellman, Karyn, The Washington Times (Washington, DC)
D.C. schools chief Julius W. Becton Jr., who has made weeding out bad principals one of his top priorities, proposed yesterday to cut principals' appointments from three years to one year.
Gen. Becton's proposal comes on the heels of his administration's evaluation of all principals and assistant principals last month.
The nine-member D.C. school emergency board of trustees will vote on Gen. Becton's recommendations on July 22.
"I cannot compromise the future of our children because school administrators are not being held to the highest standards of performance," Gen. Becton said in a statement. "Good school administrators will welcome this change in rules. It will not be a threat to their positions, but a reinforcement of positive managerial practices and educational operations already taking place."
Gen. Becton, a retired Army officer appointed by the D.C. financial control board in November to take over the troubled school system, said the changes will improve academics because the principals and assistant principals will be held to more rigorous standards that are checked every year.
The head of the local chapter of the principals union, however, said changing the duration of principals' appointments will breed instability. …