Worker Dies in Accident at Human Genetics Research Lab
An investigation was under way last night after an experienced technician was killed in a chemical accident at a human genetics research laboratory.
The man died after liquid nitrogen spilled in a storage room of the Medical Research Council's laboratory attached to the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh.
Three women and a man were treated for the effects of inhaling chemicals and later discharged. One was also treated for cuts to the head.
About 40 people were evacuated from the block, but emergency services stressed the chemical leak had been confined to a storage room and there had been no danger of it affecting the rest of the hospital.
The Health and Safety Executive immediately launched an investigation into the death and officers spent much of day trying to find out what happened.
The centre is one of the world's foremost for research into human genetics.
A spokesman for Lothian and Borders Police said the dead man, whose name will not be released until his relatives have been informed, was a laboratory assistant.
Professor Nicholas Hastie, the centre's director, said staff were very distressed by the incident. …