Broughshane Community Association was formed in 1969 by the local doctor with its initial aims to provide a play facility for children and to work on a voluntary basis to build a village Community Centre.
By 1791, through voluntary fund-raising and by a policy of self help the villagers purchased an old factory and converted it into the Broughshane Community Centre, which today is a communal home for over 20 village organisations, catering for over 1,200 members of all ages from a total population of approximately 1,900 people.
In November 1987 the Chairman of the Community Association decided that a village committee should be set up primarily to take the work of the Community Association into the village itself and with the aim of tidying up the environment and to make Broughshane a more attractive village for it's inhabitants, but also a place where Tourists could feel comfortable, with pleasant surroundings encouraging them to stop off on their way to the beautiful North Antrim coastline, only 12 miles away.
The Chairman's belief was that firstly the new Improvement Committee would be best to continue the process of self-help and voluntary fund- raising which give the villagers a sense of ownership of whatever projects which the group completed. …