PMs BACKED BLOODY SUNDAY KILLINGS; QC Accuses Heath and Faulkner
Byline: RUTH O'REILLY
THE Bloody Sunday killings were approved in advance by British and Northern Ireland Prime Ministers, it was claimed yesterday.
A lawyer representing one of the 13 victims told the Saville inquiry that a plan to shoot unarmed civilians in Derry 28 years ago was known by Edward Heath and Brian Faulkner.
The claim was made by Lord Gifford QC while delivering an opening submission on behalf of the family of Jim Wray, who was allegedly "finished off" by troops as he lay wounded.
The hearings were also told that the inquiry team had been trying to contact Ulster Unionist deputy leader John Taylor - a member of the Stormont government at the time of Bloody Sunday - but with no success.
The submissions came on day 49 of the inquiry's public hearings at the Guildhall in Derry as opening speeches continued on behalf of the victims of the catastrophe.
Another lawyer delivered a scathing attack on the Ministry of Defence for failing to even be represented at the inquiry.
Eilish MacDermott referred to the MoD's destruction of 13 Bloody Sunday rifles in January and said her clients - the relatives of Patrick Doherty - feared the department may be actively trying to obstruct the inquiry. …