DAIL WON'T SAY WHO MURDERED MY DAD; 30 Years after Garda Richard Fallon Was Shot, Files into His Death Remain a Secret
Byline: ANDREW BUSHE
THE family of the first member of the Gardai to be murdered after the Troubles started is demanding the release of 30-year-old files on the killing which have been suppressed by the Government.
Justice Minister John O'Donoghue has ruled out widening the scope of his inquiry into the events of the 1970 arms trial to include the circumstances of the death of Garda Richard Fallon.
But the son of the murdered Garda says the family believe that the Government has questions to answer about the killing.
Garda Fallon, a 43-year-old father-of-five, was gunned down by one of three bank robbers on April 3, 1970.
He was part of a three-man mobile patrol that went to investigate an alarm at the Royal Bank on Arran Quay, Dublin.
No-one was ever convicted of the murder but the left-wing republican splinter group, Saor Eire, was suspected of carrying out the raid.
As a result of his bravery, Garda Fallon became the first member of the force to be posthumously awarded the Scott Medal.
Minister O'Donoghue told Independent Socialist TD Joe Higgins last week that Department papers on the murder were withheld from the National Archives Office under a retention certificate, agreed to by the Department of the Taoiseach.
" I will be raising the matter in the Dail with Bertie Ahern and I will ask him to give clearance so that the files on the murder investigation can be released,'' said the TD.
Mr Higgins is also seeking details about any preserved forensic evidence, any inquiries about the weapon used, the source of the weapon and comparisons with it and other crimes involving firearms. …