Library Books Its Place in History; AUTHOR INVITED TO HELP MARK 400-YEAR-OLD CHAPTER AT CITY SCHOOL
Byline: Nigel Hart Education Reporter
A LIBRARY at one of Coventry's oldest schools will celebrate its 400th birthday next month.
A number of events have been organised to celebrate the milestone at King Henry VIII School in Warwick Road, Earlsdon.
The library was created in 1602, when the school was based at the old Hospital of St John the Baptist, at the bottom of Bishop Street in the city centre.
Known today as the old grammar school, King Henry VIII opened its doors on its present site on July 28, 1885.
The library performed a dual function. It served as a municipal institution and, though usually known as the "free school library", it was sometimes referred to as a public library.
It is because of this that Coventry claims to have one of the earliest public libraries in the country, along with Bristol, Lincoln and Norwich.
The rooms which housed the library were destroyed in the Second World War along with much of the school. …