Basic Truths of the Entrepreneurial Life. (Viewpoint)
The new year brings with it, as always, a struggle to make it through snow-plowing season -- just in time to be greeted by the craziness that is early spring.
It's become a bit of a post-holiday tradition to use this space in our January issue to start the new year with a few little laughs and chuckles, just to remind us that -- yes -- life is still a bowl of cherries, as Erma Bombeck once said. Here are some gems we've received via e-mail over the past 12 months. They're our little New Year's gift to you.
Great truths of life, from a small-business perspective
* We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse.
* Bills travel through the mail at twice the speed of checks.
* Many people quit looking for work when they find a job.
* If you can remain calm, you don't have all the facts.
* Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's acorn that held its ground.
* Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.
* God put us on Earth to accomplish a certain number of things. Right now, most of us are probably so far behind that we'll live forever.
* The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90 percent probability that you'll get it wrong. …