March Madness. (Travel Guide)
Kinnon, Joy Bennett, Ebony
IT takes more than telephone hotlines or the musings of television psychics to discern the winds of March. A contrary month that holds winter's last bluster and the promise of spring, March calls the traveler from a winter cocoon to enjoy blighter and warmer days ahead. Don't let March's contrary nature spoil spring travel plans. Check your city for special events that celebrate the season.
WHAT'S HAPPENING WHERE
* A Congo Chronicle: Patrice Lumumba in Urban Art. Features art portraying the life of the first prime minister of the Congo after its independence from Belgium in 1960. Clark Atlanta University Art Galleries. Through March 15.
* Wrapped in Pride: Ghanaian Kente and African-American Identity. Explores the use of kente cloth in traditional African settings and how it has been adapted as a symbol of African-American pride in the U.S. Michael C. Carlos Museum. Through June 16.
* What's It To You? Black History Is American History. Exhibit highlights African-American life and achievement in Maryland from the late 1600s through 2000 with photographs, furniture and more. Maryland Historical Society. Through December 2002.
* Master Harold and the Boys. Play presented by the Vagabond Players. Vagabond Theater. March 1-30.
* Stoops. ETA play follows four friends as they grow from childhood to adulthood. March 7-April 21.
* Cleopatra of Egypt. Exhibit explores the ancient queen through archeological finds and masterpieces of ancient art. The Field Museum. Through March 3.
* "Fashion, Flappers & All That Jazz." Chicago nightlife in the roaring '20s. Chicago Historical Society. Through Sept. 29.
* NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Championship. United Center. March 15-17.
* Aida. Elton John and Tim Rice's musical. Playhouse Square Center. March 12-24.
* Black Dolls: Reflections of Precious Faces. Exhibit. Charles H. Wright Museum of African American History. Through May 4, 2003.
* The Diva Daughters Dupree. Comedy about three sisters in a Southern Black family. Plowshares Theatre Company. Anderson Center Theater in the Henry Ford Museum. March 21-April 21.
LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla.
* Disney's Pop Century Resort Set to open. This 5,760-room resort features oversized icons representing each decade of the 20th century. March.
* City of Los Angeles Marathon 5K Run/Walk. …