Best & Brightest
- Southern Illinois University Carbondale has named the following local students to its 2001 fall semester deans' list.
Schaumburg: Julie Alice Case, junior; Shawn A. Garcia, senior; Gregory Joseph Thorson, senior; and Julie Ann Tucknott, junior.
Hoffman Estates: Glenn F. Katayama, freshman, (straight "A"); Mary Katherine Krones, sophomore, (straight "A"); Brina K. Marcus, senior, (straight "A"); Patrik B. Pistorio, junior; Robert Carl Stecki, senior, (straight "A"); and Joseph Urso, senior, (straight "A").
Deans' list recognition goes to students who compile grade-point averages that meet or exceed standards set by SIUC's various schools and colleges. The minimum standards vary by college and range from 3.25 to 3.75 on a scale of 4.0.
- Lisa M. Ritter, a junior at Saint Mary's College, Notre Dame, Ind., has been named to the academic honors list for the Fall 2001 semester. To be selected, students must achieve a grade point average of at least 3.4 on a 4.0 scale. Ritter is a graduate of St. Viator High School, and is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Ritter of Schaumburg.
- Megan Orlando, daughter of Greg and Karen Orlando of Hoffman Estates, performed with the Monmouth College Chorale during its March 1-10 annual spring tour.
The premier vocal ensemble performed a series of concerts in Florida, Ohio, Illinois, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina and Kentucky. The Monmouth Chorale is a 36-member a cappella ensemble composed of undergraduate students.
Orlando is a freshman majoring in education.
- Robert D. Lithgow, son of Robert and Regina Lithgow of Schaumburg, has been awarded a $2,000 Academic Scholarship to attend Southern Illinois University Carbondale for the 2002-03 academic year. Scholarships are awarded based on academic achievement. Lithgow will graduate from Conant High School this year.
He has received the following honors, awards and recognition: Presidential Physical Fitness Award, Tri-M Honor Society Member, District 211 Honors Band Member, 2nd place in VFW Voice of Democracy Speech Contest 2000, Boy Scout & Eagle Scout, Black Belt in Shotokan Karate; and has been actively involved in Conant H.S. Political Club, Congressional Debate Team, Model United Nations, Conant Jazz Band-Trumpet section leader and Conant Wind Symphony- first chair trumpet. Lithgow plans to study political science-pre- law at SIUC.
- Kevin Trow, son of William and Marie Trow of Schaumburg, will perform with the Monmouth College Chorale during its annual spring tour, March 1-10. The premier vocal ensemble will perform a series of concerts in Florida, Ohio, Illinois, Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina and Kentucky.
The Monmouth Chorale is a select 36-member a cappella ensemble composed of undergraduate students from a wide variety of academic disciplines.
Trow is a senior majoring in chemistry.
- Kathryn Johnston of Hoffman Estates, a 1998 graduate of Conant High School, was named to the College of Arts and Sciences' Dean's List at Loyola University Chicago for the first semester of the 2001-2002 academic year.
Johnston is a senior majoring in communication.
- Sylvia A. Panagopoulos, a sophomore at Purdue University, West Lafayette, Ind., was named to the 2001 Fall semester dean's list for achieving a 4.0 grade point average. The 2000 graduate of Schaumburg High School is daughter of Steve and Helen Panagopoulos.
- Victoria Spiering, a freshman at Saint Mary's College, Notre Dame, Ind., has been named to the academic honors list for the Fall 2001 semester. To be selected, a student must achieve a grade point average of at least 3. …