Connections. (Taking Action)
* The Witness for Peace national office (Washington, D.C.) seeks legislative interns for terms of' three months or longer to track legislation, write analyses for action alerts, communicate with collegial organizations, and represent WFP at coalition meetings. WFP promotes alternatives to U.S. policies that contribute to oppression in Latin America. Contact WFP, (202) 588-1471.
* Mennonite Central Committee invites young adults, ages 18-27, to apply for its Serving and Learning Together program, a one-year cross-cultural living experience. SALT assignments include day care centers, schools, hospitals, social service agencies, and churches. SALT participants are hosted by local families. Visit www.mcc.org.
Retreats and Conferences
* Word and World: A People's School, a popular institute designed to address the need for theological pedagogy between "the seminary, the sanctuary, and the street," invites registrants to its second gathering November 9-16 in Tucson, Ariz. Themes include Southwest social justice movements from the time of the Spanish conquest to the present, as well as the spiritual significance of the Sonora Desert. Contact Deborah Lee, (520) 670-9048; email@example.com.
* The School of the Americas Watch (www.soaw.org) holds its annual protest and vigil November 15-17 at the Fort Benning Army base in Columbus, Ga.
* Kirkridge Retreat and Study Center in Bangor, Pa., sponsors Building a Vocal Community: Singing in the African American Tradition, with Ysaye M. Barnwell of Sweet Honey in the Rock, November 22-24. Workshop participants (non-singers welcome!) will explore the history, culture, and spirituality of the African American community through its music. Contact Kirkridge, (610) 588-1793; www.kirkridge.org.
* The Center for Action and Contemplation invites registrations for a 2003 "year beginning conference," True Self/False Self, with Richard Rohr, OFM, December 27-29 in Albuquerque, N.M. Cost: $135 before November 15. Rohr will draw upon Thomas Merton, Ken Wilbur, and Julian of Norwich to communicate the need to find the tree self in God. Visit www.cacradicalgrace.org.
* L'Arche Mobile Foundation sponsors the annual First Light Marathon, a fundraiser for its ministry to people with disabilities, December 29 in Mobile, Ala. …